43 of 56 measures passed: a 77% success rate.
Free Webinar: Trends And Results From 2010 Transportation Ballot Measures (Register Here)
Hosted by the Center for Transportation Excellence, NAPTA and APTA State Transit Association LeadersFri, Nov 5, 2010 10:00 AM - 11:00 PM PST
CFTE's report: Transportation Finance At The Ballot Box: Voters Support Increased Investment & Choice (34p. PDF)
“Among my top legislative priorities will be passing a long-term federal highways and transit reauthorization, a long-overdue Federal Aviation Administration reauthorization, a new water resources measure, and a long-term Coast Guard reauthorization.
“I will also focus on major initiatives to find ways within the Committee’s jurisdiction to save taxpayer dollars. That includes better management and utilization of federal assets, including real property, and more efficient, cost effective passenger rail transportation, including a better directed high-speed rail program.”
- Creating case studies that illustrate the power of effective public transportation
- Developing “tool kits” that aid local leaders in communicating the benefits of their programs
- Maintaining an interactive website that provides clear information on effective public transportation development
- Reaching out to media sources with the arguments in support of sensible transportation choice
- Mobilizing in response to media coverage of the opposition with Letters to the Editor, Op/Ed submissions, editorial board meetings, etc.
- Tracking legislative efforts and ballot measures and reporting on the outcomes and trendsTracking research outcomes and publicizing research results to the media, stakeholders, and local leaders
Now more than ever, as state governments struggle with massive budget deficits, and communities suffer under burgeoning traffic, support for sensible transportation solutions is in peril. Opponents using erroneous arguments and fomenting fear are eroding the great strides made over the past decade.
- Distributing information that proves the effectiveness of public transportation
- Engaging the opposition wherever and whenever they appear
- Coaching community leaders in techniques for engaging the opposition in their own communities
- Promoting transportation victories at the local, state, and national levels